By: Sally Grenier
Broker Owner, Grenier Real Estate
With inventory so low in the Colorado Real Estate Market, I am seeing and hearing many stories of buyers just not being able to find the right home. But low inventory isn’t an excuse. It is possible to find the right home, but your agent needs to get creative and you may need to be a little flexible. Here are some tips & tricks I use to help my buyers find the right place:
1. What search tools are you and your agent using? Obviously, the MLS is key, but some areas have multiple MLS’s. Is your agent a member of all of them, and searching in all of them?
2. Have you searched for homes that are NOT in the MLS? “For Sale by Owner” listings can be found on Craigslist, forsalebyowner.com or other similar sites. Most are happy to work with a buyer who has a buyer’s agent. Is your agent searching for these FSBOs?
3. Have you adjusted your search criteria so that you get as many results as possible? Are there any search criteria you can be flexible on? For example, you may want a 4BR house, but would a 3 BR + office work for you? Are your searching for a Ranch home, to avoid climbing stairs? Would a 2-story house that has a Main Floor Master work instead? Are you searching for a home with a full basement? Would a partial basement work? Keep your search options open!
4. Expired & Withdrawn listings are a GREAT resource for finding that hard to find home. Maybe your perfect home was listed for sale last year, and it never sold and the listing expired. Or the sellers changed their mind, and withdrew the listing. Is your agent searching these off market listings?
5. Letters to the neighborhood also work well. You never know if there are homeowners in an area who are thinking about selling, but just haven’t done it yet. Maybe they’re waiting for spring or summer or for the market to pick up. It doesn’t hurt to have your agent send out a letter.
6. Finally, if your agent isn’t going the extra mile to find the right home for you, maybe it’s time to find another agent!
If you’re in the market to buy, and not finding what you’re looking for, give me a call!